What is Healthy Vending?
Healthy Vending is a nutritional and healthier approach in Vending Industry unlike in the past where if you walk up to a vending machine you would have options like fizzy drinks and high calorie crisps. When you think of Vending Machines the first thing comes into your mind is coke, soda, crisp and chocolate bars.
But that’s changing now.
Healthy Vending aspires to introduce healthier snack and drink Vending Machines without compromising the consumer tastes. They offer products like gluten free, vegan, fresh salads and even hot meal packs. Now that’s healthy. Isn’t it?
Why Healthy Vending?
“In England, most people are overweight or obese. This includes 61.9% of adults and 28% of children aged between 2 and 15. People who are overweight have a higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers. Excess weight can also make it more difficult for people to find and keep work, and it can affect self-esteem and mental health.” (Source: www.gov.uk)
There are around 462,700 vending machines in the UK (Source: Automatic Vending Association) in public sites like shopping malls, schools, hospitals, offices and leisure centres. And not all of these vending machines serve healthy options, hence the contribution of unhealthy vending machines towards the UK obesity cannot be ignored.
Healthy Vending Products
Below are some of the Healthy Vending Products:
- Fruit, chopped or whole
- Dried fruit, unsweetened and unsalted
- Vegetable sticks and low fat dip
- Teacakes or fruit breads
- Sandwiches e.g. chicken, lean beef, tuna, low fat cottage cheese and salad
- Bagels e.g. low fat spreadable cheese, polyunsaturated margarine
- Pittas and wraps e.g. Cajun chicken and roasted vegetables
- Jacket potatoes e.g. tuna and low fat mayo, reduced salt/sugar beans.
- Beans on toast
- Salads e.g. lean ham, lean beef, cottage cheese, chicken, salmon
- Pastas e.g. tomato and roasted vegetables,
- Honey and mustard chicken.